Monday, April 21, 2014

Perhaps its True

I registered for a gym yesterday. The building I've moved into is brand new and has lots of teething problems. For example, the internet cable is not laid right and most of the homes do not get internet or cable. There is a gym room in the building but its bare. When I asked the Nathur(watchman) he confirmed that the gym will not be equipped till the entire building is occupied. In India I'd raised hue and cry about it. But here I merely shrugged and got out to check out gyms in the neighborood.

And gyms, there are aplenty. I could find 3 gyms within 200 m radius. The first one I visited and a 1 yr membership for 1500dhms. But it had restriction on using the treadmill. I could use the treadmill for only 40 min and could not run beyond 9kph. 

Okay! I said and went off to the next gym. The yearly fee was 1800dhm and you could run for at most 30 min. Speed no limit.

I returned home wondering how I could get my time on the treadmill. I tired running over the weekend in corniche and realized how hot and sultry its become in just a month. I do not think I can run along the corniche dr for the rest of the season. 

Yesterday, while returning home from office, I went to google maps and searched for gym near me. It brought up a pointer right at Electra and Salam junction. I popped in. The guy there looked at my employee card and said, xyz bank! We have a special scheme for your bank at 1000 dhms a year. That was great, till I saw the notice on the treadmill. It said, restricted to 20 min during rush hours. I enquired about the rush hours and they said, till 8:30pm. You could run for longer time after 8:30 pm. 

It worked perfectly for me. I did my 30 min run today. The treadmill was in miles and I went to 7.5mph straight away to test the fallacy of 7 km 35 min (12 kph). Well to my surprise, it held up well. I actullay did 7.5mph for 30 min without running out of breath. So, its official. I can claim, I can run at 12kph for 30 min. Yahoooo!

No comments: