Monday, January 20, 2014

The Run 2014

As far as results go, this was my worst performance till date. I have run 5 half marathons in the last 4 years and 2:11:34 is the absolute worst of them all. And its not unexpected. There are no miracles. I got what I prepped for.

Having said that, I must say, Mumbai has upped its game on fitness. With each passing year, more and more people are improving their timings. I was was ranked 1700 something in my category 2200 something overall. In 2009 a friend of mine ran the marathon and clocked the same time. He was 600 something. He clocked the same the next year and was 1000 something. In 2014 the same timing got me 2200. Wow Mumbai, you rock! 

And it was so evident on the road. I agree I was slower than previous years, but mostly, by the time you reach Haji Ali, the crowd disaggregates . As you hit Chowpati, it visibly thins down. But not this time. This time it stayed crowded till the end. Interestingly, there were girls (ranging from in their 20s to probably mid 30s) running alongside me who not only kept pace but beat me to the finish line. Incredible! It was a little embarrassing but what the heck. Great showing by girls...

Another inspiring bit was the blade runners. I saw a Surd, a one leg amputee on the blades starting off at the Bandra sea link alongside me. He was a short stocky guy. Well built. He carried a thin long stick with him, perhaps for support. Once the race started, I lost him in the crowd. As I continued my run, I caught sight of with him again around the 9 km mark. He must have slowed down due to pain / discomfort as I generally keep a constant pace and I was catching up with him. Seeing him pull through the journey sent a shiver down my spine. I slowed down and kept myself couple of paces behind him slightly to his left so as not to make him conscious. He was running to the far right, perhaps to avoid getting caught up in the crowd. I could see him grimace, and yet push through. A lump formed in my throat. I so wanted to tell him how inspired and honored I felt running besides him. But then, thats not like me. Right! I broke away and ran ahead. I hope he finished the race. But having seen him run gave me enough of an adrenalin boost that I ran 14.5 km before my first break. Typically, I take a break around 12 km mark. He helped me push myself harder. If not for him I'd have clocked worse than I did. God bless him!

Anyhow, no knee pain, no pulled back. Only 2 blisters. Manageable. I'm happy to have finished it in the time I did. 

The big question. With declining performance year on year, 2 years in a row, will there be a next time? We'll know...

No comments: