Thursday, September 20, 2012

iOS6

I downloaded the latest upgrade to the iPhone about an hour after it was released by Apple. I was wondering what's new and how my experience will change magically. A whole new world will open up and it'll once again be like Alice in Wonderland.
But no, the incremental improvements are like ms office upgrade. You hardly notice them.
The user interface has changed a bit in a nice way. The crescent moon on the top bar was keeping me mystified. Now I know it's DND. But overall it's been boring. It might also be because the existing experience is so good.
The biggest let down is the maps. Google did a far better job of it. Apple app can't understand any place outside of USA. When I asked it to locate Hard Rock Cafe in Mumbai, it was stumped. Same for any other place in India.
Poor choice by Apple. I understand that it at war with Google, but that does not mean you screw your customers. Thank god, Google chrome takes care of some of the angst. But this is sheer poor execution.
iTunes browsing experience / dial keypad color / music app palate have changed. Can't say it's better than before. Just different.
Facebook app is integrated. I had liked its revamped performance. Now you get a listing of all the apps that use Facebook data.
Passbook may be a cool thing in the US, but in India, its not much help.
In the mails, if I have to mark anyone VIP, he needs to be on my contact list. Its interesting. Maybe I'll find a use for it.
Several features are not available for iPhone 4 users such as Siri, Panoramic view, fly view of the city.

All in all, it does not change my world. Maybe its time to upgrade the hardware :)

No comments: