Friday, July 20, 2012

Post#3 Making Incremental Progress

I could finally achieve closure on Accounts Set Up use case last week. It was grueling. For a long time jqueryui combobox did not work on ie 8. I tried various ways moving things around but it would not. Finally I gave up.

There was a lot of development that happened on that page. I split it up into common code vs use case specific. After moving them into their respective files, I tested again, to double check everything was okay, and lo! it worked in ie8. Don't ask me how but it did.

I've since moved on to the next use case. Upload Transactions. This was the most fun when I implemented it the first time. There is a free utility called uploadify. An awesome piece of work. They help you with uploading files. In the past my biggest challenge has been identifying the size of the file being uploaded beforehand. HTML does not allow for it. Hence you end up uploading a 1 mb document, and then the server reports that the size is too big.That's dumb and it also a wasteful use of server resources. Uploadify uses flash to read the size of the file and warns you if the file is bigger than allowed limit.


I did struggle a bit with configuring Uploadify but the documentation is good. The product is still evolving. I had 2.4 version from last December which I upgraded to the current 3.1 version and it solved my problem. 5 stars to Uploadify. They have made a real contribution to the user experience. I'd like to donate money to them. If I ever go live with this, I'll pay up.


Late nights have been hurting my exercise routine. For the last 2 days, I've been sleeping late and getting up all groggy in the morning. Yesterday night, Tomcat crashed. Its the second time. Fortunately, this time before reinstalling it, I took back up of web.xml, server.xml and context.xml. Saved me the effort of re-configuring the data source. 


Weekend looks busy. I have a late night birthday party to attend. Tomorrow, I have to take my daughter and her friends to their weekly class. On Sunday, I'll try running 18 kms. That will screw up the rest of the day for sure. So going slow. But making progress....

No comments: