Saturday, February 13, 2016

Hello Mumbai! My Beacon of Hope!

I first arrived in Mumbai in the summer of '97. I was carrying 2 large suitcases and a colossal bedding. I was told to get off Kalyan and take a local to Thane. The person forgot to inform me not to attempt boarding a local at 8 in the morning with such an entourage. Come Thane, there I was struggling to get out of the train, swimming against the current of hoards of humans trying to get in. Mercifully, a couple of co-passengers helped. They threw my suitcases off the train while I pulled at the bedding. There I was sprawled on the platform trying to extricate the bedding from the crowd by pulling it hard, holding on to it for my life. Someone passing by smacked my head, "Tapli" and called me "Yeda". Welcome to Mumbai!

Since then, I've moved in and out of Mumbai several times. Chandigarh, Japan, China, US and now UAE. And everytime, after a short stint I've returned to the mothership Mumbai.

After 2 eventful years at Abu Dhabi, come march, I once again move to Mumbai. It's been a disruptive and disturbing year. I lost my job here end of Nov, and despite my best efforts could not even find an opty. I reached out to my friends in Mumbai and within days, I landed 2 jobs. Of course it took a while to close these, but the response to SoS was swift and helpful.

For the first time I feel I have roots. In Mumbai. The city that has accepted time and me despite my frequent philandering.

My daughter's session ends in March and we all move together to Mumbai end of March. With a Job in Hand! and that's comforting...

No comments: