Friday, March 28, 2014

Abu-Dhabi

After a lot of back and forth, I finally made it to Abu-Dhabi on the 14th of Mar. I have traveled in the past. But in all my excursions so far, this was the most painful one. The first challenge was to secure a passport, then visa and so on... It kept me on the edge for more than a month. Now that its settled and I'm here the other aspect that's gnawing at me is the separation from family. Wherever I've traveled, my wife has joined me in at most 3 months. But this time, we'll be separated for perhaps a year. The other and emotionally more poignant part is my daughter. I've never been attached to someone like I'm to my daughter. Of course, as a child I was extremely attached and insecure about my mother. But as an adult, I find myself most vulnerable when thinking about leaving my daughter behind and moving here.

She has taken it well. I believe, my daughter has a relatively robust emotional build. She does not cling to anyone, gets over people much faster. I say so because I've seen that  in a couple of cases when the maids at our house changed to whom she was very attached, she coped well. I think she could do it because her parents were with her. But this time I've moved away and so I have yet to see how she copes with it. The one constant in her life is her mother. But I've seen her staying away from her for 2 weeks at her Nanu's place. Though she was a little sad for a few days, she held up well. And then I came over and she was bright and chirpy again.

Today I spent 2 hours chit chatting with her on the skype. I loved it. She enjoyed it. We exchanged smilies and read each other stories. I read her a O'Henry and she read me couple of Tinkle stories. God, bless her! She makes my world beautiful...

The work, if may say is still evolving. I think, I should get in front of business now. I also have to learn and accept the way they work here. All that will take time.But I hope I'm able to make a positive impact in coming months.


No comments: