Monday, December 17, 2007

Shop-o-holic!

My daughter loves soft toys and I love solid state trinkets. Of late I'm on an extended shopping binge! With all the advertising and teaser rates, they finally got through your purse strings somehow. Or so I discovered in the last 3 weeks.

I've bought a Web Cam with $20 mail in rebate, which had I seen before, I'd never have bought. In the blinding glare of greed, I did not read the fine print. Aaah! They built the mail in rebate system for bums like me. They who fall for the honey trap and in their post purchase lethargy, never make it to the mail box.

After a week in grieving, as if on rebound, I went on to buy belkin FM transmitter which works only when I hold it in my hands. That means that I get to hear my Zen micro only when I'm waiting at the signal. As soon I put the darn thing down, all I hear is static. Well thats not so bad, my wife consoles me, at least you've stopped fretting at the signal. Now I dont rush till someone honks me to...

If that wasn't enough, I bid for an SD card drooling at the price tag of $9 for 4 GB during one of those lazy browsing times at ebay. The bid was ending in <1m and I bid and won it for $9.96 only to notice that the seller was from Hong Kong and he's charging me $14 to send the wafer across the pacific.

The predictable part is that it does not end here, Barely recovered from that rude shock I was at it again. This time obsessed with external storage(Hard Drive). In my desperation to get a great deal, I passed up several auctions (got out bid) till finally my luck clicked. Got a great deal, but the seller has just 32 ratings (not all positives) and now I'm fretting if I'll ever get to see me prize drive...

Still waiting to hear from the seller, who hasn't shown much interest in establishing a contact.

5 comments:

Shalini said...

Quite a shopping spree!

Adorable Bad Guy said...

Yes, and at the end of it, I'm impressed with eBay model. I bought stuff from a Guy in HK and another one in US with very little history, but they both deivered. In a faceless place as the net, its amazing to know that if you put faith in the medium it pays back...

How were your vacations? How did you splurge,celebrate ??

Shalini said...

I've bought very few things off the net and so am still a bit wary. Good to know of your experience.

I spent three weeks in India (Delhi/Chandigarh) in October, so no vacations as yet. Next one likely to be in end Feb/March.

BTW, Happy New Year!

Adorable Bad Guy said...

Wish you a very happy new year too! I believe this is the best time of the year to be in Dubai. I miss the Abara rides to work every day from Bar-Dubai to Derra with the gulls giving me company all the way across and back.

Its June-Sep thats almost unbearable. Maybe you can plan vacations around that time...

Shalini said...

We're yet to go on one of those abra rides as yet. It's actually been pretty chilly here for the past few days...even colder than Delhi!!

Yes, June to Sept feels like a giant hair dryer here. Most likely will be in LA for a wedding in July, though.